Learning a new creative hobby is both exciting and excellent for self-care. Learning new skills, navigating new techniques and methods are all amazing for your own self- care through creativity.
We love making candles! We know that making your own DIY soy candles can be relaxing and also relatively simple.
Here is my step by step method for you to follow to make your own natural soy wax candles
Candle containers ( these could be recycled candle containers, charity shop glass containers etc)
Candle Fragrance oil or essential oil
Candle wicks and wick stabilisers or a glue gun
Wooden pegs or a lolly stick
Heat Source for e.g cooker top, electric camping stove
Double Boiler , Bain Marie or a homemade method by using a large pot and a smaller pot that fits inside. Fill the larger pot with a few inches of water and place the smaller pot inside, pour the wax flakes into the smaller pot and heat on a medium heat until the wax flakes melt)
Cooking kitchen thermometer
Heat proof pouring jug
Stainless steel stirrer e.g spoon
Soy Candle Making Instructions
1. Pour your soy wax into a double boiler
2. Heat the wax at a medium temperature, not too high as will disturb the wax.
3. Pop in the thermometer and stir occasionally. The wax will melt from solid wax flakes to a golden liquid.
4. Whilst the wax is melting assemble your candle containers. Insert your wick stabilisers onto the bottom of the wicks. Centre your wick inside the candle containers in the middle of the bottom of the glass. Set aside.
5. When the thermometer reaches the appropriate temperature for your wax, take it off the heat
6. Pour the fragrance oil into the melted wax and stir, ensuring the oil is evenly distributed within the melted wax.
7. Pour the fragranced liquid wax into a pouring jug and pour carefully into your candle containers
8. Stabilise the candle wick with the wick stabiliser (wooden peg)
9. Transfer the candle carefully into a room temperature room (warm) for at least 24 hours.
10. Once set, trim the wick approximately 1cm using a wick trimmer or nail scissors.
11. Light and enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed reading and following my soy candle making tutorial! I would love to see your handmade soy candles over on Instagram